Vindaloo

Honey loves non vegetarian food. When were about to get married, his cousin was offering his sympathy to Honey that he is marrying someone who is not a meat-eater.. 'ega en madtiyappa' which roughly translates into 'so what next buddy? how will you get your favorite food?' But then what he did not know was that it is not difficult to cook non vegetarian, if you know the basic cooking techniques.
Simple, what is the big deal, just think you are cooking potatoes! There was a time when I used have problems with the smell, I do not now. When ever i cook non vegetarian, I do it with so much love that I hardly go wrong. It is a different issue that Honey can eat anything non-vegetarian with may be a pinch of salt and a pinch of chilly flakes. (May be there is nothing much with my cooking skill there lol) So at least once every month, I diligently make him non-vegetarian food of choice, Curry, Pulao and other experimentation. If I am not all that enthusiastic, I would just put in what ever I can lay my hands upon and call the resulting product as something exotic. One fine day Honey said he wanted to eat Vindaloo. So be it. I made him some vindaloo. He loved it, the gravy looked so rich. Generally pork is the meat used to make Vindaloo, but of course it is good with chicken, lamb or any meat of choice. I tried it with an egg and potatoes for me, the result was pathetic, not quite what i expected it to be.

Photobucket

You will need

Chicken/ Pork/ mutton 1 lb (preferable bone-in thighs for chicken)
Garlic 6 medium cloves
Red Onion 1 small diced
Cloves 6-7
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Red Chillies 6-7 depending on the variety as well as taste. I use an unidentified Chinese variety!!
Vinegar 1/4 cup (I used red wine vinegar that was lying in my pantry)
Pepper 1/2 tsp
Cumin 1 tsp
Oil 2 tbsp

Method:
  • Heat about 1 tsp of oil in a pan. Throw in the onions and cook till they are deep brown. Set it aside.
  • Grind the red chillies, cumin, clove, garlic and pepper corns into a coarse paste with little water. Set it aside
  • Heat the remaining oil in a wok. Throw in cubed pieces of chicken. Sear it on all side till sort of golden brownish.
  • Pour the ground paste. Stir well, scrap the wok if there are any bits sticking to the bottom.
  • Toss around quick and throw in the browned onions. Add more water if needed cover and cook till the chicken is cooked and the gravy is nice rich and brown. About 45 minutes to an hour I should say.
  • Stir in the vinegar. Cook it for a few more minutes. Remove from heat. It is supposed to taste better the next day. So it is a great make ahead meal for those planning parties.
  • I served it with Paddu, goes well with idlis and rice.

10 comments:

FH said...

It's nice of you cook non-veg for him. My whole family in India is pure vegetarians except my dad and brother and Arvind's family is very strict vegetarians. My mom allowed our cook to make non-veg at home provided he used separate dishes for cooking meat! :D

Vindaloo looks fabulous. I make egg Vindaloo but don't add alu etc. Chicken always taste great cooked with dark meat and bones! :))

Kannada Cuisine said...

Very sweet of your mom Ashakka! I guess it is more of ones choice to eat what they like..though I believe that vegetarian foods are generally better for health reasons, I do not quite like imposing it one others, even my Honey! If he likes, well he can have it! Not quite clear so to what I did resort to when we have kids though :)

Ashwini said...

Same story here Smitha..I don't eat but I cook for my husband and daughter..Husband loves NV, so cook for them. Vindaloo looks delish..Never tried making vindaloo..will give it a try..

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ Ashwini!
Looks like there are a lot more of us than are apparent!

@ Gayathri
count me in!

Varsha Vipins said...

thanks for the visit n comment Smitha.. deeply appreciate it..:)Pls be aorund..:)
Sweet of you to cook Non veg for him with so much of love..I have see people hu make so much fuss on these things..:P..Vindaloo looks lovely n sounds pretty quick n yummy too..:)

Priya Suresh said...

I was searching for vindaloo recipe, urs looks delicious...yummy dish!!

Archy said...

Wow, they look so gud smitha.. Even my aunt does the same, as she is vegetarian, she cooks for her family.. We both are veggy so no prob :D!!

Kannada Cuisine said...

Thanks Varsha, Priya!

@ Archy! Then that makes your life so much more easy right!!

Unknown said...

Hi Smitha,

Your friend Putta is a colleague of mine and he recommended this blog, so far I have cooked this Vindaloo and Kadalekalu Usli, both have been fantastic. Thanks for the recipes, I look forward to cooking many more :)

Shane, Dublin, Ireland

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ Shane,

Hi,

I am glad you liked the recipes....It is very encouraging to get comments like yours and of course will drive me to post more and more.