Simple Moong Tovve/ Spiced Moong Dal

It might not be extraordinary for people in the Northeastern part of United States to see mercury plunging below zero during winters...But then my experience here is limited to just two winter and fortunately for me, those two were very mild and rather warm winters. But this time it has come back with vengeance. The normal temperatures for this time of the year should have been around 3-4 C but it has been around -5 to -12 with the cold winds howling from the arctic, it feels more like -17 to -19!! Ever wonder what it is to go out and walk in such temperatures? Ask me! I wear thermals (long johns), my regular clothing, Pure woolen sweater, on top of it my down filled jacket, two pairs of thick shocks, winter shoes, a pair of ski gloves, woolen muffler, woolen cap. I expose nothing but the tip of my nose and it still feels like hell. My toes and finger tips starts hurting after the first 15 minutes. I feel a sharp biting pain, as if a thousand small needles are being poked into my toes, in the next 10 minutes, my feet starts feeling heavier, and 20 minutes later, they are numb! I am not sure what happens next. Well I do want to be on the next hypothermia casualty list!

With this kind of hellish weather, everything seems damp, my spirits even my kitchen. It has been a while that I perked myself up on a week day to dish out something really elaborate. It is just the simplest of food that I am making these days. Not that I have a preference but that there is nothing much I can do about it. So till the weather comes along nice and warm, it is gonna be many more cups of simple dals and rice!

By the way I am so excited that Amitab Bacchan is around our place. In fact his family is around for Aishwarya's Pink Panther 2 release.. Hoping to watch the movie in theater soon. Me not a movie buff, but for the sake an Indian actress in a full fledged Hollywood movie I guess I will...



Whole Moong Dal 1/2 cup
Water 3 cups
Turmeric a pinch
Coriander fresh chopped
Oil 1 tsp

For the Oggarane/ Tadka
Red chillies 5-6 (or more according to taste)
Tomato 1 chopped
Hing
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Ghee 1 tbsp

Method:

  1. Pick Moong Dal clean. Wash it with several changes of water till the water runs clear.
  2. Combine the turmeric, 3 cups of water, oil along with the dal in a pressure cooker and Cook for 2-3 whistles. Set it aside to cool
  3. Just before serving, prepare the Oggarane.
  4. Heat ghee in a pan. Once it is hot, add the mustard seeds, followed by hing. Once the spluttering stops, add the red chillies and tomatoes. Cook till the tomatoes are mushy.
  5. Pour the tadka over the cooked dal. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil and adjust salt.
  6. Serve it hot with rice.


13 comments:

FH said...

OMG!! You are like living in a wool/thermal Igloo! So many wraps!!hahaha!

It's cold here too. When it gets VERY cold, we have a dose of Scotch or Bourbon on rocks, keeps us warm!! :D

Tovve looks yum, nice to have hot rice and this for lunch with hot hot Uppinkayi! :)

Kannada Cuisine said...

Yes Ashakka! I walk about 3 miles office-home (getting off the train that i.e.) So need to keep myself warm that way!!! I would love to have bourbon or some J.Daniels..but currently off alcohol!!! Ha am I missing something or what!

Recipeswap said...

I totally agree with Asha...hot rice ,pickle and papad for me with the tovve.

Ashwini said...

Thank God it is warm here. I can't bear the cold..Tovve looks yumm with hot rice, pickle and papad too..

Lakshmi said...

mugina tudige enadru haakoloanthaddu idre nodi :P ..ehehe just kidding. I was imagining you in layered clothing... :( I guess few more weeks and you are off the season..till then tovve, menasina saru, soups will keep you warm. Tovve looks good. I agree with Ashaka..swalpa uppinkayi, bisi bisi anna and happala..yummo dinner/lunch :) take good care of yourself. Hugs, lakshmi

Unknown said...

akka take care of your self.come back soon.tovve looks delicious

Savi-Ruchi said...

I can only imagine your situation as I have never seen such winters, touch wood :) I cant imagine, how you people survive out there.., hats off..
your tovve looks impressive & very colorful. Enjoy winter & warm winter clothes :-p

lubnakarim06 said...

I can feel the winter in the post with some hot moong tovve.

Deepa Hari said...

Yeah, winter is kinda hard to manage...Tovve looks lovely.

Dibs said...

Hello smitha - thanks for dropping by! nice to 'know' you thro your blog, and see you again. Keep warm! :-) bisi bisi Tovve looks yummy!

Kannada Cuisine said...

@N33ma, that essentially what we had the other day!

@ Ashwini,
I envy you sun-belt folks so much... just waiting for the spring..
@LG, Noogige yenadru hakkobeku Lakshmi! what do you think of the joker thingie!Keg kanbahudu naanu adanna hakondu.. my honey as it is thinks i am one!
Thanks a lot Sushma,
Thanks you kitchen flavors,deepa hari and Dibs

Uj said...

ha ha ha.. this was my state a few days ago.. now the temp is 4-5 C and I am feeling better compared to the subzero temp.. I used to have the same pain in the feet and it would make it impossible for me to think of even walking.. Tovve looks warm and inviting. I sually make this minus tomato.. will add them next time.

Kannada Cuisine said...

Stay warm UJ! I will try the tovve without tomatoes next time around!