Kadalekalu Usli/ Sauteed Chickpeas

Vinayaka Chaturti or colloquially called Ganapathy Habba in my hometown used to be a so much fun. We kids would have a small Pandal in our street, and almost every street would have its own Ganesha complete with stereos blazing ‘Gajamukhane ganapatiye ninage vandane…’ In fact for me it is no Ganesha habba with out hearing all the songs on this particular tape. This time around I almost spent half an hour trying to search for the album and finally did manage to get it on Kannadaudio. Sometimes, it is the smells, sounds and sights that make festivities so much fun.
We lived in my home town Madhugiri for a couple of years when my father was posted there on request. Both my grand parents lived there, next to each other. Though they had some problems between themselves, it was a big happy family with both my paternal and maternal cousins around. My maternal cousin was pretty enterprising. He was the leader of all the kids on the street. He always had grand plans for Ganesha festivals. He would collect money for the show from far off places and get a big Ganesha to beat all most all Ganeshas in our area!! Of course Ganesha Pandal means pooja twice a day with the distribution of Prasad. As a good will gesture, my grandmother would chip in for the Prasad on one of the days. Other neighbours would take turns too. This Usuli would be one popular Prasada. And I have grown to associate Ganesha Habba with this Usuli. So it is a must for me. I absolutely love it and I can have it as a breakfast rather than an accompaniment.




We will need,
Black Channa/ Chickpeas 1 cup soaked over night
Oil 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds ¼ tsp
Hing a dash
Curry leaves 8-10
Green Chillies 3-4 minced (according to taste)
Coconut 3 tbsp grated
Lemon juice 1 tbsp (according to taste)
Fresh Coriander a handful chopped
Turmeric a generous pinch
Salt to taste

Method:

  • Combine the soaked Channa with salt and turmeric in a pressure cooker. Cook till done about 3-4 whistle. Set it aside to cool.
  • Once cool, drain and save the stock to make Rasam or soups.
  • Heat oil in a pan, throw in the mustard seeds, hing, curry leaves followed by the chillies and coconut. Stir and cook for a few minutes. Throw in a small pinch of turmeric if desired.
  • Throw in the cooked drained Channa. Adjust the lemon juice and chopped coriander. Take it off the heat and serve warm or at room temperature.

    This also goes out to MLLA 15 started by Susan

14 comments:

Sanghi said...

Delicious healthy saute..!

Hb said...

Yumm!

Pavithra Kodical said...

I am cherishing those old days..I also use to enjoy ganesha festival the same way in Mysore..Kadalekalu usli is my favorite.

Lakshmi said...

K.Usli makes a tempting evening snack. Looks yummy Kanri..

ಪುಟ್ಟ PUTTA said...

Hey Smitha,
My Irish friends find your recipes interesting and I got to taste two of the dishes made by them and they truly match our taste. Good stuff. keep going..

Kannada Cuisine said...

Thanks Sanhgi, Hb.

@ Pavithra,
Glad to hear that! Me too shared some real good time in Mysore..

@LG,
Thanks Lakshmi

@Putta,
That is a real pleasure Putta, I hope that your friends enjoyed my recipes. Wonder if you tried Irish Coffee though :)

Savi-Ruchi said...

Smitha.., for the cucumber paddu, you can use the normal green cucumbers too. It tastes equally good. I have updated the blog about this. Thanks a lot for your comments.

ಪುಟ್ಟ PUTTA said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ಪುಟ್ಟ PUTTA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ಪುಟ್ಟ PUTTA said...

hmm... no. I dont drink ;)

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ Putta,

Hmmm... hagadre, tumba loss especally winter nalli ;)

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ Sush!

Thanks for the info Sushma... I will try

Malar Gandhi said...

Looks so yummy.

fanofai said...

Thank you for the recipe..made some modifications but in the end..the usli always turns out to yummy :)