Shavige Uppittu/ Vermicelli Upma

This is again a special ‘fasting day’ recipe. It was not one of my favorites till I discovered how easy it was to prepare this dish. It makes a super fast breakfast or a quick meal. Traditionally the Shavige or the rice vermicelli is made right at home. But it is a labour intensive process. I remember my grand mother used to make fresh rice vermicelli, divide it into half, turn one half into this savory uppittu and the other half would be devoured with enormous quantities of Kai-Haalu or a sweet coconut sauce. She used to make this elaborate breakfast when all of us visited her for the vacation. I still remember my uncle manning the Shavige mould. It was a difficult job for the women folk, so it fell upon my youngest uncle (who was then a mint-fresh bachelor doctor). It must have been a very good for his biceps!! The mould was awfully tight. Though today’s technical improvement has lead to the emergence of many easy to use moulds, it is just so much less fun with fewer mouths to feed and fewer kids screaming in the yard




We will need,
Rice Shavige/ iddiyapam/Vermicelli ½ lb
Oil 2 tbsp
Mustard ¼ tsp
Urad dal 1 tsp
Channa Dal 1 tsp
Peanuts 2 tsp
Green chillies 4-5 (according to taste)
Curry leaves 8-10
Hing a dash
Coconut 2 tbsp grated (optional)
Lemon juice 1 tbsp (or to taste)
Salt

Method:
  • Soak the vermicelli in hot water till it softens, that is about a 7-10 minutes and drain. Else follow the instruction on the packet.
  • Heat oil in a Kadai. Throw in the mustard seeds, hing, curry leaves in quick succession with an interval of say 10-15 seconds between each.
  • Throw in the green chillies, the dals and peanuts. Toss and stir till the dals are golden in colour.
  • Now reduce the heat and toss the coconut if using and lemon juice. Throw in the drained vermicelli, adjust salt. Toss well and serve hot.

11 comments:

Lakshmi said...

Akki shavige uppittu mastagi ide. We simply love it.

Recipeswap said...

When I was small I used to help my mom make the fresh shavige.I frankly like the sweet version more when it come to shavige but looking at this uppittu I think I'm changing my mind.

Dr.K.G.Bhat,M.B:B.S said...

you did not mention shavige with banana rasayana.it tastes better than kaayi haalu.

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ LG... we love it too!!

@N33ma, We somehow always happen to have both the sweet and savory versions.. I am not quite sure which one I like better though :)

@Dr..Howda? I have never tried Shavige with Rasayana..That is something new. I will include it though.

Savi-Ruchi said...

I became nostalgic after reading your story. My mom used to prepare it once a month & my uncle used to press the mould. It was so much fun. Home made akki shavige tastes heaven.

Sudhir R said...

great snap. I love this dish, its a great BF. Prefer to have it with Chital pudi or Gurel pudi

chef and her kitchen said...

I just love this...looks yummy..and that too i love fresh pressed shavige..

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ Sush,
Well well... same story of uncles.. That is so sweet on their part is it not?

@Sudhir,
Yes! that is incidentally the way Deepu prefers it as well :)

@Pratibha
Thanks a lot!

Sushma Mallya said...

wow yummy and healthy breakfast...loved the colour of it :)

Raghuveer said...

Thanks for this recipe although being a novice in cooking, I could not find the Curry POWDER in your ingredient list. Did you mean the Curry leaves instead?

Thanks.
Raghuveer
LA

Kannada Cuisine said...

Hi Raghuveer!

That was indeed a typo. Thanks for pointing it out. Updated and hope you will be find it better now :)