Ragi Rotti / Ragi Roti

Ragi is one of the ancient grains, native to Africa but very popular in Karnataka. It has been consumed for a long time and has remained popular even though evolving food pattern and changing tastes and preference over the past 4-5 decades seem to ignore mi’!! Surprising is it not that the most nutritious millets (including foxtail/Navane, finger/Ragi, Bajra/Sajje, Sorgum/Jola) should all be included in this category of ‘coarse cereal’ in India, which makes it sound inferior to Rice and Wheat. Should not we have a name that is more dignified and sort of sounds more respectful towards to under appreciated foods??
Well the nomenclature apart, I love millets, all of them. In fact Ragi happens to be one of my favourite cereals. I simply cannot get enough of Ragi. When my mother asks me what I would like to eat for break fast, the answer would be a straight –Ragi Rotti. In fact my sister would get really pissed of with me for this, more so when I used to return home for vacations during my university days. Needless to say she is not a big fan of Ragi. Apart from all the health benefits from Ragi, we should also remember that it is a far less resource intensive than say Rice or Wheat and can be cultivated under rain-fed conditions. There used to be drought resistant breeds of Ragi long back which I am not sure exist anymore.
I guess I can go on reams and reams over my love affair with Ragi. I should probably get back to the recipe part of it.

Photobucket

We will need,

Ragi flour 1 cup Scant
Water 1 cup
Avarekalu/ Lilva beans ¼ cup tender ones
or Dill chopped ¼ cup
Onion 2 tbsp finely chopped (optional)
Curry leaves a handful chopped
Green Chillies 5-6 chopped (adjust according to taste)
Jeera ½ tsp
Fresh Coriander a handful chopped
Salt
Oil as required (about ¼ cup)

Method:

  • In a thick bottomed pot, bring a cup of salted water to a rolling boil.Dump the flour into the water, mix is slightly and close the lid.Cook on low heat for about 3-4 minutes and switch off the heat.Once the flour is cool enough to handle, stir in all the other ingredients except oil.
  • Knead the dough till it comes together nicely. In case the dough is too tight or dry, heat some more water and mix it right into the dough. If it is too soft ( the chances are remote with this measurement :) ), add Ragi flour by the spoon fulls till the dough is pliable.
  • Divide the dough into 4 parts (according to preference). Roll each part into small balls.
  • Take a plastic sheet or a piece of wax paper. If using plastic sheets, grease the sheet with oil.
  • Place a dough ball in the centre of the plastic sheet/ wax paper. Grease your finger and start rolling the ball out into flat breads from the centre reaching the edges. Keep stretching the dough out till the flat bread is uniform in thickness resembles and has a thickness of about 1/6 of an inch.
  • Heat a griddle/ tawa. Gently place the rolled out flat bread on the hot tawa and peel off the plastic/wax paper. This needs to be done pretty fast to avoid the plastic melting over the tawa!! Else gently slide the roti onto your hand and transfer it to the hot tawa. (My preferred way)
  • Cook covered for about 3 minutes. Flip and cook for 3-4 minutes.
  • Remove from heat and serve hot with some ghee and chutney of your choice.

20 comments:

Vani said...

A different way of making raagi rotti than ours. Love the soft look of it. With avarekalu, it must've been heaven!

Lakshmi said...

ohoo..I love avrekaalu rotti....belagge belagge photo nodi bayalli neeru ...mastagi ide!

Sanghi said...

Deicious roti..!:)

Hb said...

I usually make a porridge out of ragi and rotti out of jowar. This I never tried.
Do participate in my event and win a prize!

Savi-Ruchi said...

well said Smitha. I completely agree with you. These grains are soo healthy, nutritious but always get unnoticed. Great job & that rotti looks super soft.

Suparna said...

hi,
Ragi rotti with avrekal and sabsige soppu wha can imagine how flavourful and tasty it can get :)
I keep it very simple, would def. try your version. I love ragi too!
TC

Priya Suresh said...

SUch a different roti, looks yummy...

Pari Vasisht said...

I just love the avarekaalu and this version is completely new to me. I have saved it to try.

Recipeswap said...

wow avarekallu in raagi roti amazing!Looks very nice.

Pavani said...

Ragi rotti looks delicious.

Kannada Cuisine said...

Wow... these are pretty quick comments!! Love that many of us love Ragi Rotti..

anju said...

Smitha,

first time visitor here. i was searching for a recipe for ragi roti. i am glad to find yours. my 18 month old son is allergic to wheat and i am trying to find other options for him. Can we make ragi roti with whole ragi? i have lots of whole ragi which i got from india. i used to make the ragi porridge for him, but now he likes to eat food with some textures. Thanks.

Kannada Cuisine said...

Hi Anju,

You sure can use up ur whole ragi.
In fact you can make ragi flour right at home using a Coffee Grinder which is available at Walmart for $ 12- $ 13. It is very handy. Go ahead make your own flour. May be you will have to do two to three batches every time you intend to make 6-7 rottis but if it comes to our kid's well being do we mind?
Gud luck

Sanghi said...

Do pick ur award from my blog..!

Sudhir R said...

Great Photograph, looks sooo inviting. Sad I have to be bracketed with the young lady, chetu

anju said...

thanks smitha for responding. i have the indian mixie, so i guess i should be able to do it. will try it and let you know. thanks for helping me.

take care
Anju

Kannada Cuisine said...

Pleasure is all mine Anju!

Anonymous said...

If you use a silver foil there will be no need to be careful while sliding the roti to the tawa

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ Anonymous I hope you mean Aluminum foil! We cannot afford to buy silver foil to make ragi rotti!

Anonymous said...

What's up every one, here every person is sharing these know-how,
therefore it's good to read this webpage, and I used to pay a quick visit this webpage every day.