Kai Haalu/ Coconut sweet sauce

Kaihalu is a sweet sauce that is consumed with anything from vermicelli, Holige to Kadubu. I am not a big fan of Kai halu but Honey is. Basically this dish is very popular in coconut growing regions of south Karnataka. I have seen folks from the Coconut belt of Tumkur-Hassan-Chitradurga considering it a sacrilege to serve Holige or Obbattu without this Kai haalu on the side! It is not too elaborate and I made a double batch for Janmastami, froze half of it for Vinayaka Chaturti for I knew Honey would definitely want it with the Kadubus!
There are several versions of this dish, a few recipes calls for only three ingredients, while a few calls for as many as 10!! The one I went ahead is my MIL’s recipe and I kind of liked it. Also, it is a good idea to use fresh coconut instead of frozen ones in this recipe. The fresh coconut makes the dish sweeter and tastier.

Shavige kaihalu


We will need,
Coconut 1 cup grated
Jaggery ½ cup (more if you like it sweeter)
Milk 1 cup
Poppy seeds 1 tbsp
Sesame seeds 1 tbsp
Cardamom 2

Method:
  • On a dry toasting pan, toast poppy seeds and sesame seeds separately till they become fragrant and start popping. Set them aside to cool.
  • Grind the coconut with milk into a very smooth paste. (In fact coconut milk can be extracted and all the residual fibers discarded for a smoother consistency, but I prefer mine to be a slightly coarse)
  • Now grind the cooled poppy and sesame seeds with the cardamom into a smooth powder. Mix it with the coconut milk mixture.
  • Combine the mixture with Jaggery and some water and bring it to a gentle boil. Turn the heat off when the mixture is well combined and fragrant.
  • Serve it hot or cold with fresh Shavige or Kadubu or Holige.

8 comments:

Recipeswap said...

you know what after I saw ur last post abt shavige,I made kai halu .I used ready made sevai and ate with that.
This looks so good too.Thank God I ate this already or I'd be tempted to try it out now again.I actually like to soak poori in the kai hallu and eat.We call it hal poori :)

Pari Vasisht said...

I have never tasted it, but the recipe sounds interesting. I have bookmarked to try it in future.

Archy said...

my fav kaihaalu with sevige!! Looks so gud.. i never tried to make i here, as i dont like the taste of coconut here, oily taste :(!!

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Wow thats wonderful platter...

Kitchen Chronicles said...

We also take sevai with sweet thengai paal. urs is a different version.

Savi-Ruchi said...

Boy!!, you must be sent to prison for tempting me soo much. I am going to relish it this weekend. It is tempting me to the core :)

chef and her kitchen said...

again u tempted me with this...

Anonymous said...

I used to frequently ask my friend's Mom to make this when I went to school in Belgaum.Fond memories. I'am glad I have the recipe now. Thanks.