Arrabiatta ? nah...It's Jeera-abiatta!

I have always been fascinated by Italian, French and Spanish cuisine. The dream combination would be Spanish tapas, Italian main course followed by a French dessert. Slurp! That sounds delicious and is sending my brain into a tizzy. Before I loose myself, Italian food is good if eaten at the right place and right time. For me, that meant one of these chain restaurants here or the specialty restaurants back home that would charge an arm and a leg for a simple dish of pasta. Of late I have stopped relishing the standard pasta fare served at these restaurants. They are loaded with grease and cheese and hardly any thing to address the need of my palate so long used to complicated spices and their flavors. May be it is aging too. As I grow older I realize I cannot be eating the way I used to anymore. Now a days, If I need my stomach to be peaceful, I need to avoid all those grease laden food these chain restaurant serve. So I started making my own sauces to enjoy an Italian inspired-Kannada dinner!! I find Marinara very boring. Alfredo, love it but yes, it can be way too rich. So say Hi to Jeera-abiatta sauce.

Serves 6-8

Extra-Virgin olive oil 1/4 C
Cardamon 1
Bay leaf 2
Jeera 1/2 tsp
Garlic clove 2
Green chillies 2 (Add more if you like it hot)
Italian herb blend   a generous pinch
Tomatoes 14 oz  can  2
Sugar as desired
Salt to taste

Method:
  • Heat the oil in a thick bottom sauce pan. Throw in the cardamon, bay leaves and Jeera.
  • Once the spices start to sizzle, Throw in the garlic and slit green chillies. Saute till garlic is fragrant about 10 seconds.
  • Throw in the herb blend. Once the herbs are fragrant , throw in the tomatoes along with their juice. Bring it to a boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes till the sauce kind of thickens a bit.
  • Once the sauce is slightly cool, transfer the sauce to a blender and pulse till the tomatoes are slightly chunky but sauce-like.
  • Adjust salt and sugar and remove from heat. Toss with desired cooked pasta and serve.

15 comments:

Spice up the Curry said...

SAUCE LOOKS DELICIOUS. LOVE THE BRIGHT RED COLOR

Recipeswap said...

I like how you said italian inspired kannada dinner, lol.
I totally agree with you, I love the heavy cheese dishes but I need to watch what I eat.
nice one with cumon flavor.

Chetana Suvarna Ganatra said...

Hi there,
Just discovered ur lovely website and all those kannadiga dishes...simple yet soo good. Reminds me of my Nan who cooked similarly and boy how I miss it.
Italian to Kannadiga is clever. Agree with you totally, if you do not like it, get inspired and change it.
Keep inspiring,
Chetana
'The Gourmet Table, Down Under- Live India A Little'

Sravs said...

Nice vibrant red color !! looks super inviting and wonderful recipe !!

Ongoing event
CC:Mom's Recipe

Akila said...

Wow my mouth is watering here

Unknown said...

Cumin flavor, yum. I love the flaming color of the sauce.I am sure my daughter would love it, book marked it.

radha said...

Jeera-abiatta - good name for a good dish. I have all the ingredients. Will give it a try

Kannada Cuisine said...

@Spice up the curry and sravs.. Thanks..well it is just the tomatoes nothing artificial at all.

@Recipeswap thanks much dear!

@Chetana, Glad you agree with me, kinda scared of the purist-police lol

@Akila, come over we can share some lunch ;)

@Nagashree.. would love it if your kiddo appreciates it. U know my Sunny boy loved it and I was on top of the world

@ Radha, sure go ahead and met up for lunch ;)

Priya Suresh said...

Yumm, wish to have this healthy and yummyilious fusion arrabiatta for my lunch today.

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

looks sooo good..wll try it out & let you know..:)
Tasty Appetite

Only Fish Recipes said...

wow..the sauce looks so so delectable...such a vibrant color !!!

Recipeswap said...

Hey, just saw ur comment on dahi puri, hope it turned out well, lemme know how it was.

Padhu Sankar said...

Looks colorful and delicious!

Sudhir R said...

The color is wonderful -intense red, as for the these dishes- I have to wait for you to dish out for me

hemalata said...

Super tempting recipe, sounds so delicious.