Badanekayi Sukka

It is pickling season back home. I can actually smell the salty air, as the mangoes, limes and a variety of other vegetables are brined and left to settle down a bit before they get doused in all the spices. When I close my eyes, I see my grandmother sitting the way she does while working on time consuming processes like pickling, folding one of her legs while the other remains out stretched as she cuts the carefully selected vegetable with her 'Eelege Mane', a sharp rather large cleaver life knife fitted on to a wooden plank. She would get very upset when we as kids would run into her right after our hours on the dusty streets playing and yelling. She was so very finicky about keeping her kitchen clean, more so while pickling. Probably that is why, her pickles last so long, at least two years. She would not touch the huge pickling jar on Tuesdays, Fridays and assorted other occasions. I do not remember then any more! All I remember was the being shoed away during the pickling process and being enticed for the watching over the Happalas.

The 'Happala' or Papad process on the contary was something she could not do with out us! She would lure us with tasty treats for watching over her Happalas set to sun dry on the terrace. We would arm ourselves  with long sticks and drive away birds, monkeys, squirrel  and  other unwanted intruders. I might not have appreciated her efforts as a kid, but now I look back and see how much of an effort it was for the poor soul. Was it enthusiasm for life or love for family I do not know. All I know is when I do have grand kids of my own, I want to be just like her.


 Serves 3-4

Eggplants 1 lb (The slender green Eerinagere variety would be perfect in this dish)
Peanut oil 3 tbsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Jeera 1/2 tsp + 1 tsp
Fennel 1/4 tsp
Green Chillies 5-6 (adjust according to taste)
Garlic cloves 2
Kopra  1/4 cup
Dhania seeds 1 tbsp
Cloves 4
Cinnamon 1/2"
Jaggery 1 tbsp (crushed)
Tamarind concentrate 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste

Method:
  • Chop the eggplant into lengthwise and then into 2" strips. Soak it in water and set it aside.
  • Heat oil in a wok. Throw in the mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp of Jeera and fennel seeds. 
  • Once they stop spluttering, drain the eggplants well and throw it into the wok. Stir gently and saute till they are slightly tender about 5 minutes.
  • Throw in the chillies and minced garlic. Saute for a few more minutes till the garlic is fragrant.
  • In a spice grinder, combine the remaining Jeera, dhania seeds, Kopra, cloves and cinnamon. Pulse till the mixture reduces to a meal.
  • Throw the spice mixture into the eggplants along with the turmeric. Stir well. Saute till the spices are fragrant another 5 minutes or so.
  • Throw in the tamarind concentrate about 1/2 cup of water and Jaggery. Simmer till the eggplants and tender.
  • Adjust salt and serve warm with Akki Rotti
  • Sending it to Healthy diet event created by dear Priya

14 comments:

radha said...

Nice tribute to your grandmother. I guess we truly appreciate all their efforts as we grow older.

Torviewtoronto said...

flavourful lovely post

Gayathri NG said...

Wonderful grandma, sukks sounds new to me and looks yummy!!

Sravs said...

Great dish and tasty one !!

Ongoing event
CC:Mom's Recipe

Savi-Ruchi said...

wow! you reminded me of my ajji. She, along with my mom must be busy doing happala & sandige. My mom was telling me today that she is not making happala for me this time. She used to give me 5-7 kinds of happala & 5-7 types of sandige every year. Infact, half of what my mom used to prepare was for me :) You are making me nostalgic!

Sudhir R said...

Wondering if a mutton piece is lurking behind, Oh I love brinjal any day. Finished our pickling last week, Avakgai ofcourse.

hemalata said...

Nice recipe with eggplant.

Priya Suresh said...

Wow, sukka looks super tempting,delicious and fingerlicking..

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ Radha,
I guess so! I wish I had better senses when I was younger though..

@ Thanks Torview, Gayathri and Sravs

@ Sushma..5-7 kinds wow..that is awesome. Namma maneli may be 4-5 types of Happala sandige only. My favorite adaralli Peni sandige!!

@Sudhir..Avakkai uppinakai sounds mouth watering

@Hema and Priya..thanks

Spice up the Curry said...

curry looks so flavorful.

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

sounds amazing..!
Tasty Appetite

Vardhini said...

New dish and looks yummy. Thx for linking.

Vardhini
CooksJoy

Padhu Sankar said...

Sounds interesting and nice post

Kannada Cuisine said...

Thank you spice up the curry, Vardhini, jay and Padhu