Tovve

I have always been a daddy's gal. I went with him everywhere he went, rode pillion with him on his motorbike as he performed an acrobatic maneuver, went to pubs/bars and munched on chips and ketchup while he downed lagers, climbed Chamundi hills by foot twice a week and went jogging early in the morning halfheartedly. It was fun. Neighbours called us Jawaharlal Nehru and Indira Gandhi. Cousins joked that I was my father's walking heart. But as I grew up, Pappa was posted to a far a place and we could visit him only during school holidays. It was arduous in the beginning without my trusted ally cum friend cum guide cum eveything.  That was the time, when just the three of us, me Amma and my sister stayed back  home and spent countless hours together and became the best of buddies.

My Amma, a petite woman, always had a problem finding the right footwear and bangles because no one makes them small enough for her. She might as well have better luck in a well stocked kids' store. But her size  does not say anything about the person she actually is, she is the emotional support -the buttress that holds all of us together. As me and my sister stepped into teenage, we became best of pals. We shared stories from college, gossiped and had great fun. She would help me with my Kannada papers as I was so poor in writing my mother tongue. She is a voracious reader and has an amazing memory power. Before we got internet at home, Amma was our go to source of information :) After all these years what do I have to say to her? Thanks for being there and standing all my idiosyncrasies. 

Amma is needless to say a fabulous cook, not as good as her mother but her Vangibath wins hands down my Grandmother's.Amma also makes awesome Tovve. I love it with just some hot rice and ghee. 
Serves 4

Toor dal 1/2 cup
Turmeric a generous pinch
Ghee 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Jeera 1/2 tsp
Hing a dash
Curry leaves a handful
Red Chillies 2 (Byadagi variety)
Green Chillies 2  add more if preferred
Salt to taste
Lime juice to taste

Method:
  • Wash the dal in several changes of water. Combine it with 4 cups of water, turmeric and a drop of ghee.
  • Set the mixture in a pressure cooker and cook till the dal is done.Remove from heat and allow it to cool.
  • Once the pressure cooker is cool enough,  open the lid.
  • Prepare the Oggarane. Heat the remaining ghee, toss in the mustard, Jeera and Hing in quick succession. Once the spluttering stop, throw in the curry leaves and chillies. Once the mixture is fragrant, pour it over the cooked dal.
  • Adjust salt and lime juice to taste and serve with hot rice.
Goes to CC #10 Mom's recipe hosted by dear Sravani.



9 comments:

Sravs said...

Nice and delightful dish !! Thanks for linking to the event !! Appreciate it :)

Ongoing event
CC:Mom's Recipe

Sudhir R said...

Any Time I am game for what we call Toge, the best veg dish in the world

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Looks delicious

Hari Chandana P said...

Lovely and delicious tove.. looks awesome dear !!
Indian Cuisine

Priya Suresh said...

Wat a comforting food,makes me hungry.

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ Sudhir! I know u love Toge also love it... Lip smacking good right?

@Shanthi..thanks much

@ Hari.. thanks you dear

@ Priya, you are invited anytime ;)

AJ said...

Nothing like good toor dal!! Lovely recipe.

radha said...

Lovely comfort food. And a mother's recipe. What could be better?

Shobha said...

Dal is my all time favourite..I love to try out different dal versions.