Hagalakayi fry / Bitter gourd fry

It is again a cloudy and gloomy looking day. I am a sunny gal! Love it when it is bright and sunny outside and would not mind it if it is a little hot either. But rains and clouds, take the spirit of my soul away. All I want to do is curl up in bed and sip something warm, cuddled up with a book or my laptop in my favorite blanket. Obviously that is so much of a luxury to expect especially with Sunny boy home with me all the time.  Thankfully I did not have to cook much today as we are sitting over lots of left over from earlier in the week. Thanks to my maniacal shopping bouts. I just make a quick soup for Sunny boy and fixed a salad for myself. Dinner is waiting for us in the fridge for now.  Part of it is the Hagalakayi fry that I made yesterday.

Me and Honey both love bitter gourd. I always buy them when ever I see them fresh and inviting. We also pick them up from the farms during the growing season. I can barely wait for the season to start though. I always make the Gojju . Of late I wanted to try it in a different dish, may be with potatoes just the way they did back in Sabarmati, JNU. Not that they were great by any chance, but it was one of the few things they served that made me happy. It was during those days that I realized people either loved this vegetable or hated it to the core. There were people like me, fighting with out mess staff for more bitter gourd, and then there were others fighting for the potatoes. I think it would  have been a better idea for the cooks to make two different dishes, one entirely of bitter gourd and the other of potatoes, that way both the camps would be happy. 

Last night was our movie night. We watched Kannada movie called Milana and had a TV dinner of Pulkhas, bitter gourd and a few other things. Sunny boy still does not appreciate bitter gourd as much as his parents. Let alone bitter gourd, I did be happy if he eats any vegetable at all. He is a thorough protein boy which makes me sad. Wonder when at all he would start loving vegetables as much as I do.


Serves 2

Bitter gourd  3 medium sliced 
Potatoes 3 medium chopped into cubes 1"
Peanut oil 4 tsps
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Jeera 1/2 tsp
Green chillies 5-6 (adjust according to taste)
Onions 2 medium chopped
Jeera powder 2 tsp
Dhania powder 2 tsp
Amchoor to taste (optional, omit this if the tomato is tart)
Tomato 1 medium chopped
Sugar 1 tbsp
Salt to taste

Method:
  •  Heat 2 tsp oil in a wok. Toss the bitter gourd in and fry it till the bitter gourd is brown. Do not move them much in the wok, else it will take for ever to brown. Remove from the wok and set it aside.
  • Heat the remaining oil in the same wok. Throw in the mustard, Jeera, chillies followed by the onion. Once the onions are golden brown, throw in the potatoes. Add a pinch of salt and cover. Cook till the potatoes are almost cooked but still is firm. 
  • Throw in the Jeera powder, Dhania powder and Amchoor if using. Stir fry for a few seconds. Throw in the tomatoes and cover. Cook till the tomatoes are tender.
  • Return the bitter gourd back to the wok and mix everything. Adjust the salt and throw in the sugar. Cook for a couple more minutes for the bitter gourd to heat up nicely. Remove from heat and serve hot with Phulkas or any other bread of choice.
 


18 comments:

foodydelight said...

Wow...my fav one..love it dear.

foodydelight.com

Hari Chandana P said...

Yummy and healthy recipe.. looks too good !!
Indian Cuisine

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Healthy and crispy .

Sudhir R said...

He would start loving it when he would be as old as you are. The onion rounds at the side adds great value to the pic.

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow..that's an new recipe with bitter gourd to me...looks yum...

Priya Suresh said...

Simply love this fry,super crispy and tempting..

Spice up the Curry said...

this is my fav. perfectly done

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ Thanks Pranjali, Hari and Shanti...
@ Sudhir.. oo..that sounds so far, I hope he starts eating his veggies in the next few months instead :( BTW when did Siddu start eating his veggies?

@Lubna, in fact it a very common way of making it in the north :) hope you like it

@ Priya..I luv it crispy..does it not add so much to the texture

@ Thanks Spice up the curry

radha said...

Looks great. I love this.

hemalata said...

Yummy n delicious looking bitter gourd fry, nice presentation too...

Gayathri NG said...

Healthy n delicious, crispy fries...

Niv said...

Tumba thanks for the recipe ree..I would love to try it soon...looks yummy. Will let you know after trying

Myvegfare said...

I love hagalkaayi so much, they are so yummy, My eldest started eating at a young age, but my twins they don't like it much :(, but I force them to eat one piece at least, lovely clicks.., I have never combined it with potatoes I should definitely give this a try, thanks for sharing

M D said...

that looks yum. love it.

Kannada Cuisine said...

Thanks Radha, hema and Gayathri..

@Niveditha..definitely tilisi hege bantu anta :)

@ Jayashree..gives me some hope that Sunny boy will eventually take to eating this vegetable

@MD thanks much

Only Fish Recipes said...

hey...I love bitter gourd...so does my hubby !!! this is definitely a must try !!!!hey, in response to ur query abt how to cook fish without making the room smelly...there's no way u can avoid the smell:-) but yah I generally keep my windows open, keep all the doors inside my house locked, specially my bedroom door so that my wardrobe doesn't smell fishy :-):-):-)

Sudhir R said...

He is yet to start

Kannada Cuisine said...

@ Only fish recipes..
Thanks for your tips..may be I will give it a shot..

@Sudhir, oh! that is so disappointing :(