Zucchini Palya/ Sauteed Zucchini

Zucchini still remains an exotic vegetable for me. We never had it back home. Though there is a vegetable called Torri in North India that resembles Zucchini, we south Indians are rather not too familiar with it. I avoided it for a long time, because i used to hate Torri back in my hostel days in Delhi. Recently i got an opportunity to taste the vegetable, at a Thai restaurant. I liked it. There were no fireworks, but it was a decent enough vegetable to adorn the table once a week... (Not more than that for me) I got a small zucchini and prepared a Palya out of it and my husband liked it! here is the recipe

Zucchini 1 small
chilly powder 1 tea spoon
turmeric 1 tea spoon
Corriander powder 1 teaspoon
Amchoor (Dry mango powder) 1/2 teaspoon
Garam Masala 1/2 teaspoon
Hing (optional)
Oil
Jeera
curry leaves
cilantro
salt

Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Drop the jeera, curry leaves and hing. Once the spluttering stops, drop the chopped Zucchini and toss. Add salt and saute for a a few more minutes. Once the vegetable starts to get tender add all the spices and mix well. Reduce the heat and cook till done. Finish with chopped cilantro.

3 comments:

Pramod said...

Hi there , myself pramod in a process to prepare raatouille, but i have problem in finding the translation for zucchini in kannada, could you please tell me whats zucchini in kannada

thank you

Kannada Cuisine said...

Hi Pramod,
I have never seen Zucchini back home in Karnataka, I wonder we have a name for Zucchini in Kannada at all!
Never the less it is much similar to Mangalore soutekai. I do substitute the vegetable for Zucchinis. I hope this suggestion works.

parwatisingari said...

smitha, southekai or what we call as sambhar bandane?
anyway, I saw a zucchini recipe which I am trying to adapt. I think I shall try heerekai.
I blog my dishes on
http://adigemane-parwatisingari.blogspot.com/